Claudettebillie

Super Senior

The Once and Future Queen

Lead

Sep 17 10 10:17 AM

Tags : :

Percy will not eat chicken. I just don't understand. :glare: A few meals in a row, I gave him chicken wings and I would go to him the next meal time to find it uneaten and in the litter box. (I guess he's implying something.)

When I give him RCGH, though, he will eat it and no matter what part of the RCGH it is, it will disappear the next meal time.

He wouldn't eat beef chunks or lamb much when I had that around, either. I plan to get more though and try it again, but I mean come ON, why not chicken???

So I live in the boonies, so it's either chicken parts or buying whole birds like duck or RCGH, which isn't impossible but a major pain. Would he be okay eating turkey bones? I know they're sort of large but I mean he's been eating bones since birth so his jaws must be developed enough? Otherwise I'm completely out of bone sources, and since duck is $18 per duck I can't do that all the time. I can order online but I really hate relying on it, I'd prefer to just use the internet sources to provide him with just fun stuff.

Oh and are RCGH ribs too little to give him? I was going to keep the ribs until I saw that they were the size of toothpicks and was worried that he'd choke.

~ Emilee

Quote    Reply   

sherrylynne

Super Senior

#1 [url]

Sep 17 10 10:26 PM

Emilee- they can eat mouse bones CGH ribs are highly unlikely to cause him to choke. As for the chicken- everyone has their own preferences. You could likely do a raw soupie route to convince him to eat it though. Might be worth a shot. Also, talk to the breeder, see if he's always disliked chicken, or just never had it very often.
As for turkey, they can actually chew the wing tips, the neck, ribs, and some of the spine. Can you get rabbit? You can also try oxtail bones. A good rule of thumb for bone is any animal rabbit/chicken sized or smaller. Along with any non weight bearing bone, like neck/tail. Obviously, beef neck would be too dense, and most likely pork neck.

http://holisticferret60.proboards.com

Quote    Reply   

spiritualtramp

Super Senior

#2 [url]

Sep 18 10 1:17 AM

Percival is being a right brat! He ate chicken for me, I watched him So he's certainly just playing you!

You could try slicing strips to hang off of chicken parts, to see if that entices him. Or maybe try a different cut of chicken - bone-in breast meat or drumsticks or necks. He knows how to eat chicken and you can't let him corner you into feeding him only CGH and duck. That's just bratty behavior. Also, don't leave kibble available to him so he doesn't even have the option. If chicken is what is offered, chicken is what he will eat! Have you tried drizzling a little oil on the meat? I usually drizzle salmon oil over boneless meat that I cube for them - pork, lamb, veal, etc. Not that they need the enticement anymore, but it's habit and sometimes it's a good way to introduce a meat they haven't had much of before.

If you need me to take him for a week to knock some sense into him, you know, I wouldn't argue it...

Missing NB's Captain Morgan, Pilot, Ranger, Sailor, and Scout.

Quote    Reply   

Claudettebillie

Super Senior

#3 [url]

Sep 18 10 8:31 PM

LMAO Erinn!

Okay, let me try in order... or something lol

First of all, he hasn't had more than 10 pieces of kibble as treats since he's come home. Literally, the bag has been opened once and I just threw a pinch in the dish for something different. I gave him chicken 2-3 meals in a row, and would find each in the litter box the next meal time, so he went about 24-36 hours straight without eating a d*mn thing!!!

I got him mice today but only 3 as they were $5.... I need to order but I'm dragging as I'm not really looking forward to spending $100.

And no, I have no rabbit available to me! I'd have to order it online, too. I have beef, pork, lamb, veal, and buffalo muscle meat, chicken and turkey cuts, and then whole ducks and RCGH. That's about it locally. I gave him shrimp last night for fun and he wouldn't take that, either. :glare:

He also doesn't like the salmon oil here. He tolerates the olive oil and loves Vivify though so that's what I've been giving him.

And I can't understand if he won't eat chicken- I told Tara he wasn't eating the first few days and she told me to give him baby food- and he practically inhaled the chicken baby food!!!

~ Emilee

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 19 10 9:07 AM

That's so weird! Someimes my crew stashes their food in the litterbox when they aren't hungry, it doesn't matter if they like it or not. But they will hold out with the chicken if they think imgoin to give them a mouse or a chick :p

~ Dana and...

Quote    Reply   

Claudettebillie

Super Senior

#5 [url]

Sep 19 10 2:13 PM

Percy holds out on chicken because he knows eventually he'll get something else. He doesn't know when eventually is but is willing to wait for it.

~ Emilee

Quote    Reply   

msktty89

#6 [url]

Sep 19 10 2:57 PM

Maybe not give chicken for a while? I had issues with Cooper (I know, dog is not a ferret) eating chicken and I went a couple months without giving any to him, then decided to try again and he ate it for a few meals.

So maybe he's just bored and given the choice of CGH or chicken, he just goes with the hen because of the smaller pieces..?

I'm glad yours will eat mice, mine won't. Akai will eat it a bit if it's fresh, but pre-killed or frozen, I can't get anyone to touch the stuff.

Quote    Reply   

Claudettebillie

Super Senior

#7 [url]

Sep 19 10 2:59 PM

Percy's the only one that will eat mice, purely because he was born eating it. Otherwise there would be no way I would feed it! I can barely touch them, let alone cut them open and fill them with oil to entice the diners!

Giving chicken a break is a realllllly good idea- I'm definitely going to try that! He's starting to get me angry. It's getting to the point where I just give him freeze dried as I know it's balanced (as chicken is one of the few sources of bone here) and he'll freaking eat it.

~ Emilee

Quote    Reply   

sherrylynne

Super Senior

#8 [url]

Sep 19 10 5:06 PM

Ashley, have you tried chopping up the pinkies and mixing them with the regular meat?
And Emilee, giving the chicken a break is likely a good idea. Try him again in a couple weeks to a month. He likely prefers the cgh because of the sweeter taste

Quote    Reply   

Claudettebillie

Super Senior

#11 [url]

Sep 20 10 3:20 PM

I found his meal on the floor this morning, so he had nothing to eat all day, the poor thing!

So I just gave him beef chunks about 10 minutes ago with Vivify and he was licking them last I checked.

~ Emilee

Quote    Reply   

spiritualtramp

Super Senior

#12 [url]

Sep 21 10 3:04 PM

Don't let him turn into another Tipsy, who absolutely plays his momma and got it so that he refused chicken long enough that now she never even feeds chicken. The punk

A week or two break on chicken might help, but I am always wary of breaks on foods because it might just give him affirmation that he can ignore it as a food altogether in hopes that he can wait for something better

Quote    Reply   

Claudettebillie

Super Senior

#13 [url]

Sep 21 10 3:09 PM

He's being a butt. I fed him beef last night and this morning and it's just flung all over the cage. I counted the cubes and none were eaten.

I feel bad, but I don't think I'm going to give him ANY food options other than beef or chicken until he eats them. I KNOW that he will eat it, and he can't eat just RCGH and freeze dried S&Cs, which he knows he will get one or the other eventually if he refuses all other food.

~ Emilee

Quote    Reply   

spiritualtramp

Super Senior

#16 [url]

Sep 21 10 3:26 PM

It might help, and it will also reaffirm dominance. You provide food and are the boss! If you say it's chicken, or beef, for dinner, that's what goes!

I can't say I've ever had this issue with the ferrets, but with Elsie definitely. Sometimes you just have to give them no option.

You could also try boneless chicken meat for a short time, and cut that up very small and put that mixed in with his S&Cs.

Quote    Reply   

Claudettebillie

Super Senior

#17 [url]

Sep 21 10 3:27 PM

Yeah, I might try that before going the other route.

He loves his S&Cs.... sometimes he considers pchicken butting a mouse up for them! He really has to think about it.

~ Emilee

Quote    Reply   

msktty89

#18 [url]

Sep 21 10 3:32 PM

I agree with scruff 'n' stuff to get him going. In the beginning with Akai, I had to do that a couple times. She caught on after that. And definitely don't give many options... Don't fold!

I think that was the one thing I felt I did right... I told them, "This is what you get, eat it or don't."

Quote    Reply   

spiritualtramp

Super Senior

#19 [url]

Sep 21 10 4:51 PM

There is definitely a certain level of respect you earn as Momma and Food-Provider when you tell them, ''tough cookies!''

Quote    Reply   

sherrylynne

Super Senior

#20 [url]

Sep 21 10 11:15 PM

Oh, boy! Is that lad every playing you
Unfortunately, Emilee- you really have to put your foot down, and quickly. Or he'll only be eating things like S and C!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help