trippyferret

Weasels of Warcraft

Lead

Sep 5 09 3:53 AM

Tags : :

I picked up some Meyenberg Evaporated Goat Milk. It was the only kind I could find. I wanted to make sure how much to give my four. I am going to mix it with soupies, which I do once a week.
http://meyenberg.com/core/products/evaporated

Morgan
Doggies: Trevor, Bellah
Kitties: Charlie's Angel, Freedom
And the fishies of Fishwarts!
RIP Daemeon, Leo, Alfredo, Fox-Man, Enigma, Toketoke, Zim, and Toto

Quote    Reply   

spiritualtramp

Super Senior

#1 [url]

Sep 5 09 8:55 AM

Goat's milk has a low percentage of lactose, so giving it at prescribed amounts isn't a big deal. Mix some up with water (the container probably tells you how to reconstitute it,) and then add a bit to soups, a few tablespoons per serving I suppose. I hope they like it! My kids all like goat's milk.

Missing NB's Captain Morgan, Pilot, Ranger, Sailor, and Scout.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 5 09 10:53 AM

<------Ferts and I are Jealous!!

I called 5 stores looking for the powdered kind with no dice either they claimed to not sell it or only had the evaporated kind. Well I didn't want that so I just got some KMR because I gave up and was at petsmart anyway. Well my luck the very next day I go shopping at EarthFare which is a natural grocery store and within seconds of looking for it I found they had all the kinds, powdered, packets, and evaporated!! It was so in the open it could have bit you. I mean there are only like 7 isles how hard is it to walk up and down each one and look for something. On 2 seperate days of calling and asking if they sold the powdered stuff and being told no the first day and I don't think so the second day. Because of those lazy stock boys I wasted my money on the KMR when I could have gotten the goats milk for the same price and it is better for them than the KMR. I am so going to file a complaint at the store it was rediculus. Did I mention the first time I called Earthfare I got hung up on like I was trying to pull a prank or something. God can't a girl just get some goats milk for her ferrets is that a crime. Well after spended the money on the KMR I couldn't afford to goats milk so that will have to be next month. *sigh**end rant* sorry, you brought up goats milk and I am ticked off at those lazies.

Forever in my heart
Jager - 1995-2007
Molly - 2000/5-09-09
Roger Rabbit - unknown - -7-11-09

Banner made by velvetfuzzbutt

Quote    Reply   

sherrylynne

Super Senior

#3 [url]

Sep 5 09 11:12 AM

Try not to worry too much Jessica! The KMR is really good for them, too.
By the way- I'd have been ticked, too!

http://holisticferret60.proboards.com

Quote    Reply   

trippyferret

#4 [url]

Sep 5 09 12:03 PM

Do I have to reconstitute it? Or can I just mix a small amount in there? I was concerned because it has added vitamin D, and I'm not sure how much D ferrets need. How long does it last refrigerated?
At least you found what you were looking for Jessica! I would've been mad too. KMR is good for them though!

Morgan

Quote    Reply   

sherrylynne

Super Senior

#5 [url]

Sep 5 09 1:03 PM

You could try them with it as is, Morgan. It might be too rich, though. If you have to reconstitute, most evaporated milk is done 1/2 milk and 1/2 water.

Quote    Reply   

trippyferret

#6 [url]

Sep 5 09 2:56 PM

I went ahead and reconstituted it. Just put a little bit in their soupies, not too much. They seemed to love it! Moreso than regular soups.

Morgan

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 5 09 7:43 PM

I know the KMR is good too I just like that the goats milk is lower in lactose.

I do remember reading on the evaporated can that you reconstitute it half and half though.

I wouldn't worry about the vitamin D at all. Goats milk is universal milk replacer and any species who drinks milk can drink goats milk and get all their nutrients from is unless they are allergic.

Forever in my heart
Jager - 1995-2007
Molly - 2000/5-09-09

Quote    Reply   

Tink

#8 [url]

Sep 6 09 5:02 AM

Oh I am glad to read this, that is the kind I picked up for them a long time ago but I haven't used it yet, just been sitting in my pantry. Good stuff to know. Maybe I'll give em a sample tonight for fun.
Plus, Monkey vomits up KMR I think it has too much lactose so maybe this would be a better alternative.

~Also Mommy to Kuan Yin, Hestia, and Solomon <3

Quote    Reply   

Tink

#9 [url]

Sep 6 09 8:20 AM

P.S. Omg, my kids LOVED it..and so do my cats! I have a cat that has hyperthyroidism and she's eighteen and we've desperately been trying to get weight on her and she drank a whole bowl..I should have tried this earlier!
(I also did half water with half milk)
Def goin on my grocery list to get more

Quote    Reply   

sherrylynne

Super Senior

#10 [url]

Sep 6 09 9:32 AM

Tink, it's not that KMR has too much lactose. I don't believe it has any, or just minimal. But it can be very rich if it's not mixed correctly. I made that mistake with Athena. It needs to be 1 part powder to 3 parts water. I just mix it in with their soupies instead. No problems at all that way

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Sep 6 09 11:15 AM

It depends on the type how you mix it. The evaporated milk you "Dilute with 12 oz. of water to make 24 oz. whole goat milk."

I'm not great at math but 12 onces of powder reconstitues to 3 quarts.

I bought a brand of KMR I have never got before and it says "Mixing Directions:
Gently shake or stir 1 part powder into 2 parts warm water. Do not mix more than can be consumed in 24 hours. Mix until all lumps are dissolved. Do not use a blender. Do not feed if formula is warmer than room temperature."
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3480958#prodTab1

From the Meyenburg goats milk site

"•Goat milk contains only trace amounts of alpha S1 casein—the major protein of cow’s milk to which many people are allergic. Symptoms of cow milk allergy include eczema, diarrhea, gas, bloating, ear infections, and excess mucus.
•Goat milk, like all natural milks (including human milk) contains lactose. So why are many so-called lactose intolerant persons able to drink goat milk? It has been hypothesized that because of goat milk’s superior digestibility, less undigested residue is left behind in the colon to ferment and cause the unpleasant symptoms of lactose intolerance. One significant difference from cow milk is found in the composition and structure of fat in goat milk. The average size of goat milk fat globules is about 2 micrometers as compared to 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 micrometers for cow milk fat. These smaller- sized fat globules provide a better dispersion and a more homogenous mixture of fat in the milk."

I'm not sure if you got the powder of evaporated stuff Tink, but the powder needs to also stay in the fridge.

Forever in my heart
Jager - 1995-2007
Molly - 2000/5-09-09

Quote    Reply   

trippyferret

#12 [url]

Sep 6 09 2:43 PM

So glad I picked this stuff up. I will have to see if my kitties and doggies like it too. I'm even considering trying it myself... I'm used to cow's milk, so I don't know what kind of taste to expect. Kinda nervous... lol!
To mix it, I just mixed one can of evaporated goat's milk with one can water, and poured it into an empty milk jug, then shook it around real good with the cap on.
Edit: I tried it. It was disgusting. It tasted like... cheese water. Ew. Ew ew ew. Maybe it's because it's evaporated. I had to spit it out. Yuck.
On the other hand, Angel and the dogs liked it, however Freedom only sniffed it and walked away.

Morgan

Quote    Reply   

sherrylynne

Super Senior

#13 [url]

Sep 6 09 3:37 PM

I'm not too fond of goat's milk either I'm guessing it's an aquired taste. As long as the animals like it though...

Quote    Reply   

trippyferret

#14 [url]

Sep 6 09 7:18 PM

I was googling, and I think it might just have tasted gross because it was evaporated. Most of the sites said that it tastes pretty similar to cow's milk. I might try it from the carton. Just to see. Lol.
If I don't like it, it's just more for the fuzzies.

Morgan

Quote    Reply   

Tink

#15 [url]

Sep 6 09 7:22 PM

LOL I tried it too, it's "different" but I bet if I substitued it in a recipe or something I probably wouldn't notice much difference.
Okay, Sherry, I won't write off the KRM yet. What's weird is the can I got of the powder says one part formula to one part water. It's still in my freezer, I didn't toss it or anything so maybe I'll try again. Monkey's my sensitive tummy boy, everyone else's tummies are apparently made of iron
I got the same goats milk as Morgan. I think I'll tend to lean toward that since for me it's cheaper and right down the street at the local store so convenient too (I have to drive into town thirty minutes away for the KRM, have I mentioned I'm in the boonies with cows and horses? )
My dogs, cats, and weasels are all big fans now. I need to stock up on this stuff, one can is just not gonna do it for all of them

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Sep 6 09 9:03 PM

When I was a kid we had goats milk, fresh from the goat, and it is NOT like cows milk. Does not even taste remotely the same.

I do not like the way it tastes but for those of you that do, lucky you!

Quote    Reply   

sherrylynne

Super Senior

#17 [url]

Sep 6 09 9:18 PM

Tink, I seem to remember reading on one of the FML's, or in the FHL, that when the KMR formula was changed(I think!), they forgot to change the label advising 1 to 1 over to 1 to 3. Either that, or the label was misprinted, or something to that effect
Anyway, it is supposed to be 1 part powder to 3 parts water.

Quote    Reply   

Tink

#18 [url]

Sep 6 09 9:27 PM

sherrylynne wrote:
Tink, I seem to remember reading on one of the FML's, or in the FHL, that when the KMR formula was changed(I think!), they forgot to change the label advising 1 to 1 over to 1 to 3. Either that, or the label was misprinted, or something to that effect
Anyway, it is supposed to be 1 part powder to 3 parts water.

Good to know! Thank you

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help